Marriage of Convenience pt. 1

"Let's get married."

If she was more reactive, Chrome would've choked on her food and had a coughing fit the moment that blunt offer left his mouth. However, as she wasn't the type who would do exaggerated reactions, she merely froze in her place, hands still gripping a fork and a knife though they stopped midair, visible eye staring straight at the man before him.

It took fifteen seconds for her to got her composure back and the courage to ask,

"I'm sorry, Cloud Man. I thought I heard you proposing to me."

"I did."

"Proposing, as in, asking my hand for mar—"

"I did ask you to become my wife, Chrome Dokuro."

Hibari scowled while Chrome kept her stoic expression. He sounded serious when he said it—the marriage proposal. Sure, he was always serious. But that was beside the point.

Hibari Kyouya, the carnivore of who would opt death over being bound by something, asking Chrome Dokuro to marry him.

It must be some kind of bad joke.

They remained silent for quite awhile, staring at each other's eyes, going for their respective search. One was trying to find out if the other was lying, while another was trying to look for the other's answer. They didn't break the eye contact until Chrome decided to speak again.

"There must be a reason for that, right? Will you tell me, or do you prefer to keep it a secret?"

Being Vongola's Mist Guardian for ten years allowed Chrome to understand the other family members better, Hibari included. She learned that the man's pride was bigger than anyone else, and he would beat down anyone who tried to trample over it, regardless of friends or foes. Knowing his reason for proposing her would help in deciding whether she would accept it or not, but she wouldn't mind being kept from the dark—it was better than being told, then have to receive a damage for the information.

She watched his expression changed, subtly, as if he was displeased and was about to add "it's okay if you don't want to tell" when he gave her the answer.

"I need an heir. A child that will inherit my family business."

Ah. Of course that's the reason.


Hibari will never marry out of love. Everything he did was always because they were beneficial to him. Love was a petty emotion, she heard him once.


As a woman, though, Chrome would've preferred not to marry with the reason that it was convenient for her partner. She wanted to wear a bride gown, to be beautiful and standing in the altar, vowing to become the wife of a man who loved her. Beside, she wouldn't want to be a heartless woman who will allow the child that she gives birth to raised to be someone capable of handling great influence in the underground society.

As much as she wanted to outright refuse the proposal, she also wished to help the man, if possible. Hibari, after all, had helped her and the Gang, regardless whether he did it intentionally or not.

"If you want an heir, you can take one from an orphanage."

Hibari, who had proceeded to finish his meal after he stated his reason, stopped slicing his Salisbury steak to give Chrome a bored look. "I'm not interested to take care of someone who doesn't have any blood relation to me."

"Then, why me? Surely there are women who are much better than I am."

"Because I know you are the perfect candidate for that role."

Role? The role of an obedient wife who will be willing to do everything you bid?


Chrome took a deep breath, trying to stay calm. She mustn't be provoked by his heartless answers, she knew. She eyed him casually chewing the last bite of his steak as if he didn't just make the most insensitive statement ever and waited until he sipped his drink before saying,

"I need some time to think, before I can give you the answer."

"One day."

Her eyebrow lifted at the vague answer. She watched him cleaning his mouth with the napkin, then added, "I'll give you one day to think. Tomorrow night you have to give me the answer."

She bit her lips, pushing the scream "It's not enough!" back to her throat. But she knew better not to argue the man, and, fortunately (or unfortunately?), she had a day off tomorrow, which means plenty of time to think.

"Alright." She grab her silverware again, intent to finish her meal so that she could leave him  as soon as possible. "Tomorrow night it is."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrapped: EC-8

Scrapped: Raijin no Keifu

Konstelasi: Sagittarius