Fate, Chapter 11

“Milady…someone had waiting for you…now if you please meet her?” asked the hermit lady politely.

“Someone who...?” Iris raised an eyebrow. It’s been around midnight. Is there anyone that really wished to see her that bad until he/she willingly waiting for her until she returned until this late? He/she must be a very patience person.

“She’s waiting at my chamber,” Selena smiled mystically, “Now…Altus, you may show Rachel and Viki their chambers…I believe there were some empty rooms left at the second floor of the west wing. They may use the rooms.”

“To be honest, if there’s any dark room like storage or something, I’ll be glad to stay there,” said the blonde vampire. “Or maybe trees…I can use sleeping on it.”

“...As you wish. Altus, show the ladies the way, please.”

Altus sighed, but he still led Rachel and Viki to their rest places. The older Sindar girl then turned her attention toward the brunette guardian. “Sir Rudger? Will you return to your chamber or will you following your master?” she asked clearly, though she already knew the answer.

“I’ll go too. What’s the use for bodyguard if I left her?” Rudger reasoned.

Selena nodded. She flied ahead, escorted the castle’s master and her bodyguard to her respective chamber, which located at the third floor of watcher tower at the middle of Randgriõr’s district. A simple small room could accommodate five people inside. There were no other furniture such as bed and chairs--there were only a stone, which she used to meditate.

Selena raised her hand, and the stone door opened immediately. The two youths entered the room. After the three were in the room, a sudden light appeared before them. It was not Selena’s bluish light, but a very bright white one. Iris recognized the light as the meaning of a certain person.

As the light faded away, Lady Leknaat appeared once again before the Tenkai girl. Just in this case, Iris wasn’t dreaming and accompanied by her trusted people.

“Congratulations, bearer of Dawn Rune,” the blind lady smiled, “You had past the start of your trials…you have done very well this far. I expect as much from a talented Sindar like you.”

“Thank you,” Iris nodded shyly.

“However, you had not experience true testament just yet. Many people will become your allies, and more will fight you. You shall endure the feelings from killing those who oppose you. You will also learn more about your true nature and the secret that people hide from you.”

“Secrets…?” the young girl stunned at the words. She used to lie to everyone about her true name…so she understand that it maybe just exchange from her lies.

“In order to help you gather your allies, I shall give you a small present,” Leknaat turned her head a little toward the blind hermit. “Selena, I’m sure you know how to handle this thing?”

“Sure is, Leknaat,” Selena flied ahead, now floating near where Leknaat is.

The two blind ladies chanted a short spell. A light beamed to the stone behind them. Suddenly, a large blackish jade stone appeared on the stone where Selena usually meditating. The two stepped aside so Iris and Rudger could see clearer at the thing.

“It’s called as Tablet of Stars. The Stars who had decided to give their faith to you will be listed here,” explained the black haired seer. “And with the help of this Star, Selena could read clearer and pointed at a Star whereabouts. Here is my small gift for you.”

“Oh, it’s really a big help! Thank you, Lady Leknaat!” the blonde young girl bowed respectfully to the mysterious helper.

“Thus, I hope you can fulfill the tablet. If you manage to do so, I shall grant you greater gift,” Leknaat’s body engulfed with light once again. Before she completely disappeared, “I will keep watching, watching how you will lead those Stars, my child.”

After the seer gone, Iris smiled happily to Selena. The hermit lady only shrugged and rolled her not-functional eyes at the other person than them in that room. Rudger still stared at the place where Leknaat used to float. However, his eyes reflected a desire to unleash an unbearable fury.

“Rudger...?” Iris frowned, waved her hands in front of her partner’s face.

“Oh!” the brunette gasped. He then smiled nervously at the girl. “What is it, Iris?”

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing…I just…wondered, ‘so, that’s the lady Iris mentioned…’ like that.”

“I see,” the blonde girl nodded. She turned around to her distant relative. “It’s late. I guess we shall retreat to our rooms. Good night, Selena!”

“Yes, good night, Lady Iris,” Selena smiled.

Iris and Rudger left the room. The hermit was left alone in that room. She floated and then sat down on the meditating stone. She leaned to the Tablet and sighed. Her blind eyes looked up to a Star name.

Rudger Fleming, the Retreating Star, the Winged Tiger.

Selena smiled after reading the line. “How long you could hide the big secret, eh, Sir Rudger?”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So, with this girl’s power we could move to any place?” asked Kiros. He seems amused. “It's amazing.”

Viki blushed furiously at the compliment. “No…I think I can only teleport a group from a Sindar ruins to another Sindar ruins, that’s all,” she explained. “I can’t teleport so many at once and not so far too. And I afraid I can mess up, teleporting you somewhere else…”

“It is okay, Viki. I’m sure you’ll be a great help!” said Ceas, encouraging the teleportress.

Everyone met the three new Stars this morning...correction. Everyone met the one of three Stars this morning, Viki. Rachel kept sleeping over the tree in bat mode, and she refused to move even an inch so none could greet her. Ryusei glared to whoever that dare to come closer to him. Viki is the most kind among the three so they easy to talk with her. They also learned her ability, teleporting. It’ll be very useful for them, as the castle’s master must travel to one place to another in order to gather the Stars of Destiny.

“She’ll be pretty popular. I’m sure of it,” commented Katarina from a far, because the cute teleportress surrounded with the others.

“Agreed,” responded Rudger, shook his head slowly after a soldier struck him by accident because he too eager to see the cute newcomer.

“Ah Rudger...! There you are!” Toma, the gray haired Queen’s Knight ran from the staircase, approached the mentioned Apprentice and his companions.

He stopped for a while in front of the young man before grabbed his arm, tried to drag him somewhere. Rudger, however, managed to stay on his standing place and frowned at his superior.

“Hey, what do you want with me?” he frowned.

“You need to train to be a proper Queen’s Knight! No dawdle and get on moving now!” replied Toma, persistent with his will.

“I don’t need those stuffs! I’m a fake Queen’s Knight Apprentice, don't you remember? Only for disguise, so I don’t need to train to be a true Queen’s Knight!”

“That’s not what Toma meant, Sir Rudger,” Ehlen came afterwards, approached Rudger and Iris as well. He was followed by the army’s young tactician Rui.

The Prince smiling doubtly before continued. “There will be a banquet in the Palace. My cousins Princess Ammy and Princess Yumi will reached their sixteenth birthday two days after tomorrow and many important people throughout countries will be present in the banquet. In order to keep the security tight, the Queen’s Knights assigned to guard the hall until the party end.”

“Oh I see,” Iris nodded and turned to her bodyguard. “Well, assignment still assignment. You must train for the event, Rudger.”

“What about you?” Rudger asked, felt rather disappointed that his partner not even bothered with the never-told-to-him-before assignment.

“Don’t worry. I had these people with me,” the young girl smiled mischievous. “Though, I must say that I will kinda miss you from not being around me in the time being.”

“Ah, don’t worry, Sir Rudger,” Ehlen interrupted. “Lady Iris and Rui will be invited to the banquet as well, because…you know my point. You two are important people right now,” the prince chuckled.

“Beside, it’s a good opportunity,” Rui smiled. The same smiles she grew whenever she made a brilliance tactic or able to convince important people to make alliance with the Fate Army. “There will be important people there, right? We could ask them to support us in the war!”

“Well, I don’t mind then. Now, Sir Toma, please train Rudger with all your might,” the young Sindar girl pushed her partner to the gray haired man.

Rudger moaned with the forceful leave. Iris could only chuckle. Her best friend never likes to be ordered around, especially by someone that he not fully acknowledged as his superior, someone who he must obey. Iris is one of those few people whom the brunette couldn’t resist, and since their fate turned to something like this, she never had the chance to command him around as she wishes.

“Lady Iris, there’s something I had in my mind ever since I heard we’ll be invited to the banquet, though…” Rui folded her arms and posing arrogantly. “Because your primary intentions to come here is to work at the sites, I presume you didn’t bring any gown at all…?”

Iris stared at her tactician for a while. She blinked. Ehlen and Rui were waiting for her reaction. That Tenkai girl eventually giggled and sighed. “True. I forgot that I must wear a gown to the banquet,” she admitted.

“Just as I thought…” Ehlen shook his head. “Well, fortunately we had some noble lady in our army. Elise might have some gown for you.”

“Hey! I had some gowns too, you know,” Rui protested.

“Yes, but I’m sure it’s all small size and wouldn’t fit Lady Iris.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The three just now arrived and asked her to borrow Iris one of her gowns. Elise showed three of her gowns. Iris tried all of three; unfortunately, none of them seems match her image. One was colored strange when worn by Iris; the other was too heavy while the last one is too thin that Ehlen almost could saw the young girl’s bosom.

“Oh, I’m sorry…this is all gowns I have,” Elise said regretfully.

“No, it’s not your fault, Elise…its okay,” Iris smiled reassuringly.

At the time, Klaus and Argent walked across the chamber and saw the four seems uneasy. The brunette strategist entered the chamber and then followed by his blonde attendant.

“Iris? What’s wrong? Why you all look so gloomy?” Klaus asked, made everyone turned their attention to him. He then noticed the gowns on the bed and made a speculation. “Were you wanted to wear a gown, Iris? How rare. Why is that?”

“Er, me and Rui invited to the banquet at the Sun Palace,” explained the blonde young girl. “But…I don’t have any dresses at all…something appropriate to wear for the special event as such.”

Everyone turned silent again. Then Argent remembered about something. “I think I had something that will suit you perfectly, Lady Iris,” he smiled. “If you wish, you may come to my chamber…I left it along with my other belongings.”

“Hum, sure. Why not try it?” Iris agreed.

The five—Iris, Rui, Ehlen, Klaus and Argent—headed to the blonde man’s chamber at the east wing of third floor. It was only a simple room decorated with a bookshelf, a body length mirror, a wardrobe, a simple bed, and a set of table and chair. Argent opened his suitcase and pulled out a blue-colored dress. Judging from its motive, it’s a traditional dress from Northern Continent.

“It’s a traditional suit of Alma Kinan Clan. I heard from President Teresa that you were born in that village so I guess these clothes will match on you,” explained Argent. He walked to Iris and handed over the clothes. “Here, try it on.”

“Um…thank you,” Iris retrieved the clothes and smiled. “Now, wait at the outside. Shoo! Shoo!” she shooed the four away, and them laughed.

Iris closed the door and looked at the traditional clothes. It is indeed beautiful. She wondered why Argent brought those clothes along with him in such wartime. However, she changed her clothes with it. In addition, she changed her hairstyle as well. It wasn’t braided down anymore, but braided up high like what fashionable noble women should do to their hair.

She looked at her reflection on the body-length mirror in that room. She smiled. The clothes were very beautiful, and she likes it. She never wore any gown or frilly dresses since her last prom, which is last year. She turned around, and giggled to see the beauty.

“Lady Iris? Are you finished?” asked Rui from beyond the door.

“Sure. Come in,” replied the young Sindar girl.

The four followers entered the chamber and gasped to see the lady. She looks very different. She looks precisely like a fine lovely high-class lady, not a tomboyish girl who currently led an army in a big war fight. The three males widened their eyes in awed, took their time to praise their compliments with mind voice. Meanwhile Rui quickly approached the young teen and walked around her.

“...Magnifique! It’s totally suit you well, Lady Iris!” the tactician said, amused to see the younger girl. “This way, I’m sure those stingy nobles wouldn’t mind to have you among them!”

“Thanks, Rui,” there was a slight flush on her cheeks. She turned around to look at the males. She smiled shyly before shrugged. “Well…? What’s your comment, Sir Klaus? Ehlen...?”

“I’m…at loss of words…” replied the older tactician, followed by an agreement nod from the silver haired prince. Argent still awed, though after that he smiled and nodded as well.

“It’s all thanks to you, Argent,” Iris approached the blonde man. She was inclining her head, though not fully bowing. She raised her head again, wore a puzzled expression. “However…I must admit that I confused…why you bring a girl dress along with you? Was it just a coincidence?”

Argent rolled his eyes to the ceiling, thinking for a reason. He couldn’t admit that he wished to give that dress as a gift for her. It would be just as plain as he confessing her about their true relationship would. He paid attention to the young lady’s eyes once more. She still demanded an answer. So he had no other choice to response.

“It was…my daughter’s clothes.”

Klaus raised an eyebrow. The other three gasped in shock. Argent frowned. “Why? Am I not looks like I had married?” he asked, still with his best polite attitude.

“Well…to be blunt, no,” Ehlen said. “You look so young…but these clothes are for teenage girl, right? How old ARE you actually?”

“He seems not that old, eh?” the male strategist chuckled. “He’s over thirty. He had married in his very young age. You catch my point…with that pretty face, he hardly could resist for any women that asked him to marry them, eh?”

Argent glared at his sister’s right-hand man. Klaus only laughed. Iris clasped their hands. “It must be rough, marry and have a child in young age, didn’t?” she asked with little smile.

The blonde man shook his head. “I was used to it. Once before I had my own daughter…I adopted a little orphan girl. So actually, I already get the glimpse how to be a good father,” he explained.

“I see,” the young Sindar girl grimaced. She said the following sentence with annoyed tone. “I hope my father as good as you. He didn’t take so much responsibility for taking care of me.”

Those words really hurt Argent’s feeling. It looks like he was stabbed right to his heart. Klaus smirked. He had the pleasure hearing Iris said that to her father, even she unintentionally said that aloud because she didn’t know Argent’s identity. It’ll be a good lesson for the father.

“Oh that’s right!” Iris clasped her hands and smiled, “Would you like to come with us in the banquet?”

Gray eyebrow lifted. “Beg pardon? Why I receive such honor?”

“Well, you lend me this dress. Beside, I and Rui need bodyguard and I think you’ll become a perfect one to do the job.”

“Yes, I love the idea. Why don’t you accompany the ladies into the party, Argent? You can act as my behalf,” a wicked smile stole on Klaus’ lips. “This is a great honor and it maybe a chance for a lifetime! You can’t possibly miss this opportunity…”

Argent folded his arms. He turned around, taking his time to choose. Finally, he turned toward the castle master once again and saluted, “Well then, it’ll be my honor to accompany you, Lady Iris, Lady Rui.”

“Then it settled!” the Sindar girl nodded. “Oh, may I bring these clothes to my room so I can keep it until the day come?”

“Sure. I’m sure that…my daughter will be proud if she knew her dress wore by such an important person like you, Lady Iris.”

The blond girl giggled bashfully. She bowed a little and left the room, followed by the tactician and the prince. The man-in-aide let out a deep sigh. The male tactician approached him and landed a light hit on the other man’s chest.

“Way to go, Father.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the day, Iris, Rui, and Argent had Viki teleported them into the capital of Falena. Sol-Falena had turned into a very splendid city to celebrate their precious princesses’ sixteenth birthday party. The citizens kept doing their jobs though. The True Rune bearer could see there were more soldiers stationed to patrol around the city than before, when she and Rudger first arrived in the city.

“Ah, watch out!”

Alerted with the warning, Argent pulled Iris and Rui aside, avoided the sudden rush from whatever it is. As the Sindar girl winced and tried to see what had almost struck her just now, she saw a black wolf there, panted heavily. The Highlander bodyguard pulled out his sword, taking a fighting stance, if by any chance the wolf tried to attack them.

“Please, put down your sword, sir!”

Iris turned her head around and saw a beautiful girl with silvery-white hair came to their way. Her face reminded the young scholar with Ehlen. And the girl definitely has this regal aura around her.

“I’m sorry, she didn’t mean to do that,” the stranger girl bowed apologetically.

“Yeah, I won’t do that if you stop going after me, Ammy,” remarked the black wolf.

“She can talk?” Iris startled.

“Of course she can,” Rui rose to her feet and cleaned her dress until she felt it was neat enough to greet people. “Because she’s not an ordinary wolf, Lady Iris. She is, in fact, one of the jewels of Falena, Princess Yumigami Falenas.”

Before Iris could state her queries, a light emanated the wolf and soon she had turned into a cute girl with short black hair, looks perfectly similar with the girl she called as Ammy. Noticed that the young girl was too awed with her sudden transformation, Yumi laughed and snapped her fingers, woke the girl from her shock.

“Surprised, huh?” the black haired princess placed her hand on her hip. “This is our natural ability, thanks to the Dawn and Twilight Rune.”

“Yumi!” the silver haired princess smacked her sister on the elbow, made her winced. “My apologize, Lady Iris. We’re supposed to introduce ourselves to you. My name is Amaterasu Falenas, and this is my younger twin sister, Yumigami Falenas. Pleased to meet you...”

“Uhm…pleased to meet you too,” replied the blond girl. “Did you just said that you’re able to turn into wolves because the power of the Dawn and Twilight Rune?”

Ammy nodded. “That’s right. We once tried to bear the Runes, and suddenly we turned into wolves. After that, we got a rune sage detached it from us, then all of sudden we are able to transform into wolves as we wish. I don’t know is it a curse or a gift, but we find it fun and make things easier, so well,” she shrugged slightly.

“Never mind that! I heard you’re Rudger’s friend! He’s cool, isn’t he? What’s your relationship with him?” asked Yumi eagerly.

“Yumi, don’t be so impolite to guests!”

“Well, to answer your question…yes he is, I think so, and I’m his childhood friend,” answered Iris. “Oh, speaking of Rudger…he’s doing okay right? Have he, by any chance, hurt or something during his training as a Queen’s Knight?”

“He got several bruises because of the training, but there are no serious injuries,” the older princess reported. “If you’re concerned about Sir Rudger, how about meet him directly? I think the Queen’s Knights were practicing for the upcoming show right now…”

“Oh, I wouldn’t impose…”

“Ammy is right. Let’s go to the Sun Palace now!” invited the Twilight Princess.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Alright, that is the end of the final practice. Please keep up and do your best performance in the banquet tonight,” declared Zane.

“Yes, sir!” replied the rest of Queen’s Knights.

The eight black-garbed knights dismissed themselves. Zane approached Lyon and discussed about the party’s schedule. Latina was drinking her mineral water when Kaylee pulled her sash, made the girl choked and eventually chasing the playboy swordsman. Clovis leaned against a wall and wiped away his sweats. Alexis practiced more techniques with a dummy. Rudger sat down at a corner of the room, cooling down. Toma approached him and gave him a bottle of water.

“Here,” he said. “You’ve doing a great job for these days.”

The brown haired apprentice smiled slightly and received the bottle, saying, “Thanks.”

“I’m sure Lady Iris will be proud of you.”

“Oh he always proud—no I think she almost get jealous—of me,” the young swordsman opened the bottle and shook it a little, “I’m the one who protected her whenever she in trouble. We’re almost like brother and sister by now.”

“But you think of her for more than that, right?”

There was a slight pink across Rudger’s face, and Toma chuckled. “It’s alright to admit that you’re indeed in love with her. You’re so perfect together. I heard from the members—they were thinking that you two are lovers or something,” informed the senior knight.

“No…I’m just her best friend…really.”

Suddenly, the room’s door opened widely and five people entered. One of them was a pale blond man, while the rest of them were girls. Everyone immediately noticed them as Iris, Rui, Argent, and the twin princesses. The Queen’s Knight rose to their feet and saluted to the honorary guests, except for Zane and Lyon.

“My, what the princesses doing here?” asked Kaylee jokingly.

“Wait, is the training over?” Yumi looked up toward her father.

“Yes. It was over at…what, ten minute ago?” remarked Zane. “You girls are late.”

“Oh no…” the black haired girl turned her head toward the Sindar girl, “Sorry, Lady Iris. It looks like we didn’t make it in time.”

“No it’s okay…hey, Rudger!” Iris waved her hands, made her appearance more recognized.

Rudger smiled and approached his partner. “Hey, long time no see. How’s the castle? Are you all right? Did anyone tried to flirt you or something?”

“Yes, it’s been awhile; the castle is doing okay; as you see, I’m alright; and lastly, no, nobody dares to tease me,” the True Rune bearer responded. She giggled when she saw her best friend let out a relieved sigh. “Geez, you don’t need to worry so much. Rui and the others were there with me.”

“Yes, you don’t need to worry, Mr. Nanny,” mocked Rui sardonically.

“I’m not her nanny. I’m just concerned. I’m here to accompany and protect her until our research done, you know,” Rudger retorted. However, seeing the mischievous smirk on the tactician’s face, he shrugged and said, “Oh whatever. Shouldn’t you enjoy yourself? I’m sure there are lots to see in the city, unlike when we first came here.”

“You’re right. Rui, Argent, do you want to go for a walk with me?” asked Iris.

“No, I think I better start the ‘Operation Gaining Supports for the Army’. See you guys!” and the midget made her way out of the Palace.

“It’ll be my pleasure to accompany you,” the blond bodyguard bowed.

“Oh, oh! I’ll go too,” Yumi waved her hand and approached the True Rune lady. She turned her head and looked at her twin sister. “Ammy...? Do you want to go with us or not?”

“No, I’ll stay,” replied the silver haired princess gently.

The younger twin shrugged and led the two guests out of the castle, into the city plaza. Rudger let out a deep sigh and noticed that Toma looked at him funnily. Flushed slightly, he asked, “What are you looking at?”

“No. I thought you will go out with Lady Iris,” the gray haired knight widened his smile, “I heard from the people in Randgriõr that you’re much attached to her. You always followed her everywhere faithfully and protected her, even feeling a little jealous whenever men like Kaylee or Kiros teased her.”

“I’m not jealous!” the apprentice shouted, embarrassed. “Beside, I want to show her my best performance at the banquet later…so, Alexis, can you practice with me a little bit?”

Alexis smiled and nodded. “Sure. Come here, Winged Tiger!” she challenged, swung her rapier into mid-air.

Rudger smiled and walked toward the senior knight. They then started their sword practice, made several laughs as Alexis made some feint and made him looks like a poor swordsman. The black haired Tenyu Star sighed. “Show off.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night had fallen and the banquet had started. Noblemen and noblewomen, knights and their ladies, gathered in the Palace Hall. As heard, soldiers placed in many places to guarantee the party’s safety. The Queen’s Knights stationed in the Hall itself. Six of them stood tall, watched the invitees talked with their commons, while the Commander and his Vice-Commander stayed beside the royal family, which seated themselves on the throne. Iris eyed them carefully.

Princess Amaterasu looked very beautiful in her red and white kimono. Her long silvery hair tied and hung on her shoulder gracefully. At the throne next to her, sat quietly was Princess Yumigami. She wore black and purple kimono with the same design as her sister. Her short black hair adored with small tiara. The princesses seated themselves in the right and the left side of their mother, Queen Lymsleia, whose grace and beauty was second-to-none. Even her daughters were in pale comparison toward her.

Prince Freyjadour clothed in his royal garb, very much different from when she last saw him, which is in the first war. He stood next to the Dawn Princess. Lyon, his wife, stayed beside him loyally and watched the banquet with much pleasure. Stood next to the throne of the black haired princess was her father himself, Zane Rescales. He donned in his usual black and golden uniform. And last of the royal row, was Prince Ehlen, with uneasy expression of his. As informed, he didn’t used with formalities, which he supposed to learn as a royalist, so his stiff countenance wasn’t questionable.

“Having fun watching the royal family, Lady Iris?”

The voice startled her. Rui had stood next to her again. The tactician was disappeared as soon as they entered the Hall, left the young leader with Argent. Now she had returned with another big grin that Iris swore she had seen for the fifteenth time today.

“Um yeah. They look very…regal. Princess Yumi is especially different. I thought she was the total opposite from Princess Ammy, but now she’s as graceful as her older sister is. I almost think that she maybe has double-personality or something,” explained the Sindar girl.

The black haired midget chuckled. “Well, to be a proper princess, they need to have several masks of emotions, so they can false their expression as they need,” she said. “Oh, oh! Look, they are about to perform the sword dance!”

A scholarly eyebrow lifted. “Sword dance...?” Iris queried, unfamiliar with the terms.

“A technique mastered only by few swordsmen in this world,” Argent spoke, “It use speed and the beauty of swordplay. Some circuses have these swordsmen to entertain the audiences with their art of sword. However, it was very different with sword fighting. The technique is sharp and cold, yet beautiful and magnificent. Very much different with mere brutalities like fighting, don’t you think?”

“Wow, I guess you’re right…It sounds difficult.”

“That being said, the technique is hard to master. I wonder how Sir Rudger will perform. He never learned this kind of skill before, right?” Rui smirked, “I’m a little anxious…a little failure in this performance will cause a serious injury to an amateur like him, you know.”

Black eyes widened in horror. The naïve girl laced her hand together pleadingly, prayed for her best friend’s safety. Argent lifted an eyebrow. “As far as I know, Sir Rudger’s swordsmanship is very good that Sir Toma offered him to be a true Queen’s Knight. I’m sure he won’t get injured in this,” he remarked.

“Who knows? Let’s just see, shall we?” the Silverberg concluded easily, turned her full attention toward the dancing floor, where all eight high-ranked soldiers stood right now.

The Queen’s Knight made a formation in the middle of that floor. They stood in circle, eyes closed, and hands ready on their weapons. Silence finally fell as the guests decided to watch the performance silently. Times passed, and they opened their eyes, grabbed their respective swords and pulled it out, pointed the blade and united it together.

The spectators watched in awe as the eight skilled swordsmen and swordswoman started to move. Each step they took was very soft yet sharp. Avoiding slashes, swinging blades…each moves they did showed grace and glory, somewhat representing the true meaning of Queen’s Knight. Even glancing at the comrade made a quite impression as their eyes showed both mercy and prowess.

The performance closed by one last sword slashes by the Commander, and the Queen’s Knights sheathed their swords again. Big applauses welcomed them back into reality, broke the silence of perfect illusion. Clasping hands and congratulation words filled the hall. Everyone felt very amused by the magnificent show the knights showed him or her just now. Eight of them bowed politely before returning to their posts.

“Wow, that’s awesome,” Iris couldn’t stop clapping hands for Rudger’s beautiful performance with his saber.

“Now that’s what I called as a ‘sword dance’! That’s the best performance I’ve ever seen up until now!” added Rui cheerfully.

“Such is expected from a Queen’s Knight,” commented Argent thoughtfully.

Rudger, positioned near one of the pillars that supported the second floor, let out a deep sigh. He looked up and could saw Iris clasping hands, together with the rest of the audiences. He smiled, and their eyes met. The blond girl raised her thumb and winked slightly. The knight smirked and winked as a reply. It was too bad that he have duty tonight. If not, he could approach her and ask her opinion about her performance just now.

Toma, seeing the regretful expression of the apprentice, approached Prince Freyjadour. They talked a bit, before the Prince nodded and told his brother-in-law about his decision. Zane smiled and agreed with him. The gray haired swordsman went into a table, where foods and drinks reserved for the invitees. He picked two glasses of champagne and walked toward Rudger, who stared curiously at him.

“What, we can drink champagne while we’re on duty?” he asked innocently.

“Well practically no. But the show is over, now we can enjoy the party a little bit,” the older knight handed over the champagne.

“What the—you mean…?”

Toma nodded. “Sure. Have fun with your lady.”

Rudger smirked. He drank the delicious low-alcohol drinking and returned the empty glass to his senior knight. He walked through the crowd, tried to get to Iris’ place. Unfortunately, a group of noblewomen whom heard the rumors about ‘the new apprentice who happen to have cute face’, found him walked past them and quickly surrounded him.

“Gosh, you’re that new Queen’s Knight Apprentice everyone talking about, aren’t you?”

“Just like everyone said, you’re not only skilled swordsman, but also…”

“CUTEE!”

Rudger furrowed his eyebrows. “I’m sorry, ladies. I have business to attend at this point, so could you--?”

“Not yet, pretty boy! We haven’t talked anything about you!”

“Say, there is a dancing session after this. Who is your partner tonight, Sir Rudger?”

“Or are you too busy with your duty that you didn’t get a chance to find someone?”

“Well then! You can go with me!”

“No, he’ll dance with me, obviously!”

“No, of course not! He will definitely pick me!”

Iris noticed the small crowd at a side of the hall, turned her attention and found Rudger surrounded by high-class girls. She chuckled. She remembered every time when they went into a prom. The girls would always cornered him, asked him to dance with one of them. However, he would always use the same excuse, and that same excuse will save him from this one misfortune as well.

“Sorry, ladies. But I will dance with Lady Iris. Only with her. None else. Nope.”

The crowd froze as he said that. Rudger use this chance to get out of them and approached Iris. The blond girl looked very beautiful with her Alma Kinan dress. She looks stand out with her Harmonian appearance, but matter not. The Queen’s Knight arrived in front of her and smiled.

“So, what do you think?” he asked unexpectedly.

“About what?” the Sindar girl returned the question.

“My performance tonight…not only the show, but also my appearance. What’s your comment?”

She chuckled. “The show is fabulous, and you’re looking good. Looks very valiant, unlike when we’re in Randgriõr or somewhere else.”

The brown haired guy laughed. Soon, a mellow music played out. Ammy and Yumi rose to her feet, and their hands welcomed inviting hands of Ehlen and William. Both princesses started to dance on the floor, accompanied by the perfect melodies orchestrated by the best musicians and conductor.

Slowly, everyone joined them in the dancing floor. Kaylee patted Latina’s shoulder and they danced. Clovis coughed and asked Alexis to dance with him. Zane led Lymsleia into the floor, followed by Frey and Lyon. Luserina dragged Richard all the way to dance with him too. Rui had disappeared unnoticed, maybe talking with some more invitees. Argent shifted his eyes toward a certain couple next to him.

“Lady Iris? Sir Rudger? Shouldn’t you join them too?” he offered.

“Oh I don’t know…this is not the right suit for dancing…” Iris said, looked down at her clothes.

“You look beautiful in anything, Iris. C’mon, let’s join em!” and Rudger dragged his partner into the dancing hall, followed the music.

Men and women moved gracefully on the dancing floor. The slow and mellow music brought their steps. Iris looked around. Every other couple looks very shinning. The ladies wearing expensive-looking gown, and the men were wearing tuxedo—the Queen’s Knights were always an exception, of course. Compared to her attire, she knew she was out of place and felt a little uneasy. Nevertheless, she danced pretty well with Rudger there.

“I didn’t look stupid, did I?” she asked in whispery voice.

Rudger frowned and chuckled. “No. Why?”

“I wear traditional clothes!”

“Me too. From a land called Queen’s Knights Headquarter.”

Iris blinked, and then she giggled. “Oh well. We’re one odd pair in this floor.”

“But we’re so perfect. None can match your beauty.”

The blonde girl blushed. Rudger always complimenting her looks in every prom they attended together. It was as if…he is a completely different person, unlike when they are doing their normal daily routines. There are the Rudger who always teased and joked with her and the Rudger who saying flattering comments. She wondered which one is his true personality.

As the music stopped, everyone stopped dancing. The audiences clasped their hands again and the dancers returned to their position. Argent welcomed the young couple with two glasses of champagne in both hands. Iris took one and Rudger took the other one. They drank it and let out a relieved sigh.

“Well, that’s pretty good! I’ve been practicing sword techniques for days that I didn’t get any entertainment at all,” the brunette commented.

“Seeing good-looking women like Alexis and Latina is not good enough for you?” teased the scholar girl.

“No, but seeing the Queen and her daughters are quite a pleasure for sore eyes,” the partner retorted, causing hearty laughter from the girl and her older bodyguard. “For the rest of the night…I think it just will be chattering between nobles, gifts presenting and father-and-daughter dance. Ha, Zane will be troubled.”

“Why is that?” Argent aired a query.

“Oh I see your point. There are two daughters but they only have one father. Commander Zane can only dance with one of the Princesses, right?” Iris speculated.

“Indeed. Let’s just see him in trouble,” Rudger concluded.

As expected, no sooner after the free dancing session over, Ammy and Yumi confronted their father. Zane lifted his eyebrow, wondered why his daughters look very curious, and pressured him with this scary aura.

“Father, you need to choose, now!” Yumi started.

“Choose what?” the black haired Commander asked, dubious.

“Choose one of us, who will dance with you with father-and-daughter dancing session,” explained Ammy. “You honestly didn’t thinking about it, did you?”

“Ah, my bad…” Zane rubbed his chin. “Well, at times like this…let’s use rock-scissor-paper. Whoever wins, I’ll dance with her.”

The twin princesses groaned. Lymsleia giggled at her husband’s funny way to end the conflict. It somehow reminded her about her father, Ferid. Anyway, Ammy and Yumi started playing rock-scissor-paper to decide which one of them who will dance with their father. And luck sided with Ammy today.

“Ahaha! My scissor cut you!” the silver haired princess laughed.

“Ugh, I hope it turned out into rock-scissor-metal paper, so you can’t cut the paper easily!” the black haired princess pouted.

“Now, now, Yumi. You maybe lost, but it doesn’t mean you won’t dance with us tonight,” Zane smiled. He waved his hand, signaling for Toma to approach them in the royal seats. “Toma, will you please dance with Yumi later?”

Toma gasped. “It’ll be my honor, Commander. But how come...?”

“You’re almost like father to them,” the Queen pointed out, “Beside, you’re pretty close with Yumi too, aren’t you?”

“Well then…if you say so, Your Majesty.”

With that, Ammy descended into the dance floor with Zane, while Yumi paired with Toma. The musicians took this as a cue and they started to play cheerful yet melancholy melodies. Several noble ladies that came with their fathers also joined the dance, for example Elise and Richard. Argent had this urge to ask Iris for a dance, but he worried what if she finds out that he is her father.

“Lady Iris, you look like you’re jealous,” Latina pointed out, as she approaching the Sindar girl with one funny smirk. She was followed by Kaylee.

“I guess…” the younger blond girl shrugged. “They are in good terms, aren’t they? The princesses must have been very proud to their father, and Zane too was proud of his daughters.” She sighed heavily as she leaned her back against the pillar. “I’m so jealous. I hope I can feel the same way toward my father, and hopefully he too, feels the same way.”

Argent felt like he had been slapped right in front of his face. His heart was hurt to hear those words. But he bears with it. He couldn’t risk concealing his secret right now. His priority is to protect Iris, Teresa Wisemail’s niece, as one of Dunan officer. He must not put his own feelings in this problem, or it will become more difficult for him to handle.

As the music stopped, the fathers and daughters stopped dancing. They bowed at each other, thus ending the dance session of the banquet. It was late in the night, yet the people didn’t show any sign of exhaust and keep chatting to each other. Iris yawned slightly. Normally, she would be deep in her dream world at this time, but not tonight. She have to stay awake, unless the Queen declared that the party has over and the invitees allowed returning to their quarters.

Argent noticed that she had grown weary. He will ask her to call it a night and makes her sleep, but will she obey his request? As far as he known, she’s very stubborn and quite determined at each choice she made. Even Rudger, her best friend, was unable to change her mind when she had made her choice. Sighing heavily, he averted his gaze to the crowds of nobles, when he felt a strange chill down to his spine.

The blond bodyguard looked at his surroundings. There was definitely something there…something that strong enough to make him shiver like that. He gulped; hand ready at the handle of his sword, when suddenly the light was off and sounds of screams could be heard.

“Turn on the light!” Zane’s voice could be heard commanding at none to be specific.

When the light finally turned on once again, more than thirty nobles had collapsed to the ground, unconscious. The rest of the invitees gasped in surprise, feeling a danger threat their life in instance. The Queen’s Knight quickly grabbed their weapon, ready to attack anything that hold possibility to harm the souls of those Falenans. Argent took a firm step forward, effectively guarding Iris though the girl had pulled out her staff, which she hid under her skirt.

Suddenly, a strange smoke started to appear in the hall. People whom unaware of it and had no precaution for something like this, began to fall to the floor, joining the other fainted people. Annoyed, Ehlen made his own move. The Wind Rune on his right hand started to glow as he cast a strong wind to blow away those strange smokes. People finally could take a relief.

“I’m sorry, but it seems this party has to be a battlefield soon,” Zane spoke. “Guardsmen please led the waking invitees out of the Palace. We’ll handle the collapsed ones later.”

“Yes, sir!”

Soon after the order, several guardsmen escorted the nobles out of the Palace. Once they assured that every guest had been sent to their quarters, they returned to report the successful assignment. However, before they could reach the dancing hall, a sharp stab into their hearts from behind ended their life effectively. The bodies fell to the ground, bathed with red bloods. The murderers pulled out their blades from the corpses, chuckling, as they felt slightly eager to start massacring the Sun Palace with their nightmares.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrapped: EC-8

Scrapped: Raijin no Keifu

Konstelasi: Sagittarius