Fate, Chapter 5

At the Sun Palace, Sol-Falena, nighttime.

Prince Freyjadour Falenas stood in his chamber’s porch. He still worn his royal garb and watched the star. Tonight the star seemed brighter than usual. And it seemed sparkle, as if it was dancing and making a festival up on the obscure black night. At time like this, he remembered a certain mysterious lady that bore the Star Rune.

“Hm, I wonder where she is. Will she appeared in front of Lady Iris?” murmured Frey as he kept looking at the stars.

“I guess not.”

Frey laughed a little and tilted his head. His wife approached him, still worn the black uniform of hers. Lyon stood next to Frey and looked at his face.

“You’re expecting Zerase? I guess she won’t. Except Lady Iris was an incompetent one, then yes, she would come and threatening her,” added the navy eyed woman.

“I guess so,” Frey nodded and continued looking at the Stars. “The Tenkai Star…before, I was the one who took the blessing of it. Yet a young lady like her took it. I hope she’ll be okay…she seemed totally unprepared at the beginning.”

“Just like you before.”

The silver haired man laughed. “Well, what do you expected?” just now he tried to began a mock battle with Lyon, he noticed a knight with black uniform and other man with brown kimono without sleeves approached the palace. “Is that…Toma and Shigure?” Frey pointed at the two men.

“Hm?” Lyon looked at the direction her husband showed her and nodded. “Yes, they are…what are they doing? I thought Toma was placed to guarding the western regional, near the border between Nagarea and us.”

And a brilliance idea crossed their mind. “Don’t tell me…!”

Frey and Lyon ran to the Queen’s Knight Headquarter at the first floor of the Palace’s east wing. As soon as the two entered the room, everyone inside there was looked at them. Namely, they are Alexis, Clovis, Toma, Shigure and the Commander, Zane. Alexis and Clovis were stood near Zane, which seemed so concerned about something while Toma and Shigure stood before them, have the same expression.

Frey approached the grey haired Queen’s Knight that was his old friend too. “Toma, I see you came back. There must be something urgent if you dare to leave your post,” he said. “Now, let’s sit down…ah,” Frey rolled his eyes to Zane and chuckled. “It’s your right, Your Commandership.”

Zane blinked and smirked. “Oh, well, it’s not something that needing any formalities, but if you wish…” the black haired guy stared at his knights. “Let us sit down and commence the meeting.”

Everyone sat down in his or her seat. Actually, there were only seven Queen’s Knights. But since the Prince was given a special treatment to join the meeting after he showed himself skilful at handling thousand men from the previous war, he also granted a seat there. Shigure stood next to Toma, still having his eyes covered with his bangs.

“Well, we’ve been cooperating with Shigure and his companions to search any suspicious moves on Falena,” said Zane. “So, I guess if he came to report here, something was happening. And by your arrival with Toma that was supposed to be in his post at the western regional, I suggest the group were appeared from the west.”

Shigure nodded. “You see, these people actually are bunch of mercenaries from Northern Continent. It’s not clear if they were spy from Harmonia before, but after my partner sneak and watched them for this whole three months, we sure that they’re Harmonians.”

“Three months?!” Alexis gasped and looked at the rather expressionless Shigure. “They have been spying us for that long?”

“I’m not amazed if they spying us since the previous war, more than twenty years ago,” commented Clovis. His facial expression kept the same, as if it wasn’t a big threat at all for him. “The facts that the Sun Rune was very powerful enough to be a threat to our country itself prove that the Sun Rune has a supreme power. That’s one reason enough for Harmonia to try stealing the Rune.”

Everyone turned into a silence. After the awkward tense air, Toma opened another conversation.

“Well, I’m here to escort Shigure, and also bring news,” he said. Everyone looked at him seriously. “The group that he reported was gaining more power. Apparently, Harmonia has made an appointment with some of Zelant’s mercenaries to help them at this one battle.”

“Zelant…mercenaries,” Frey remembered about the Lindwurm Mercenary Brigade that once aided him at the civil war.

“At any rate, we need to prepare for the coming battle,” Zane stood up. “I’ll send a messenger to call Kaylee and Latina. They supposed to still in Lunas right now, or might be the farthest is at Rainwall. While that, I’ll begin to arrange the soldiers. Now, you guys…”

“Don’t say that you’ll arrange them alone,” Frey stood up. “I’ll help too.”

“But…”

“I know. I’ll join the war as well. But I need to help my brother-in-law too. For you. For her. For our country.”

Zane smiled and nodded, knowing that the silver haired man wouldn’t stop or changed his mind about this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iris and the other were at Rainwall. After they finished their breakfast at Lunas today, they left the holy lands and heading to that city at Ehlen’s suggestion. He said that there lived a great swordsman and once fought alongside his father, so he sure the man would be one of the destined too.

“Oh, this city is prettier than when I saw it from afar!” Iris whispered happily.

“Hm? When did you saw this city?” asked Rudger, confused.

“We past this city when we raid the coach to the capital, Rudger,” hissed the blonde annoyed. “The port city Estrise was just some miles to the east from here.”

“Really? Oh well,” Rudger shook his head, innocent. That brunette looked at the young prince who looks like seeking for someone in the city’s plaza. “What are you doing?”

“Today was supposed to be an important day for them,” Ehlen said, still tried to look around. “So, I guess they were in the port from morning, but I guess not…”

“Looking for someone, Your Highness?”

The groups looked at the voice’s direction. A man with wide grin on his face walked toward them, followed by a blonde guy with solemn face. They approached Ehlen and the friends.

“Hello, Lord Richard, Sir William,” Kaylee and Latina smiled and bowed respectfully.

“Hello, Your Highness, Kaylee, Latina. It’s been awhile since we met. Did you want to spar with William for this week again?” asked the older man.

“Oh please, Dad. He had sworn that he wouldn’t try to challenge me dueling again, since his… thirty-sixth loss. Or was that sixty-third? I didn’t remember. Did you remember, Prince?” the named William smirked mischievously.

“Now, don’t you make me mad…” hissed Ehlen.

William laughed. “Okay,” then he rolled his brown eyes noticed the absent-minded Iris. “Young lady, you supposed to not absent-minded here. Though it’s okay since your friends are here, but if it’s become a habit, it’ll be quite dangerous.”

“Oh, what? Uh yes,” Iris nodded, and hid a little behind Rudger. “Chian, the Strong Star, the Elegant Panther…”

“Hm? Are you afraid of me?” asked William, looked disappointed.

“Lord Richard, I thought you didn’t invite Sir Wilhelm here anymore,” Latina sighed.

“No. But I guess he learned too much from the last visit,” Richard shook his head. Still with the smile of his, he rubbed his son’s hair. “William, you know what your mother will say if she found out you trying to flirt a girl like this?”

“…’Try to be like Prince Ehlen, he more polite to the girls than you, dear’. The usual speeches, right?” answered William with a high-tone voice that resemblance a lady. Ehlen and the two Queen’s Knights laughed at that while William continued mimicking the voice of his mother.

Rudger only smiled wryly and rolled his emerald eyes toward the blonde girl. Iris noticed his looks and nodded. She approached Ehlen, made the noble kid stopped mimicking. “Sir William, I ask your alliance with--”

Just before Iris could finish her sentence, a motor sound appeared all of sudden. Ehlen, Richard and William looked at each other and smirked. They ran to the pier, which is not too far from the entrance of the city, followed by the confused Iris, Kaylee, Latina and Rudger. They waited there and a boat came from afar to the pier and docked there.

A lady at her mid-twenty hopped off from the boat. She smiled when she saw William and Richard. At the next second, she jumped to them and gave them a big hug. Ehlen stepped back so if those three stumbled they won’t fell on him.

“I’m home, Father, Willy!” she chuckled, released the hug after Richard coughed desperately, almost die in suffocation.

“Will you stop calling me Willy?” grunted William, crossed his arms in front of him. The girl only laughed and ignored the complaint, so the blonde gave up. “Oh well. Welcome back, Elise.”

“How it goes with Kent?” asked Richard after breathe more air to relieve his lungs.

“Well, he’s kept busy with his task. I said I‘d stay if he needed more help, but he said its okay, so I’m back. Still, I guess I’ll go to Estrise soon to help him more,” explained Elise. She then noticed Ehlen and the groups were there too. “Oh, Prince Ehlen. How do you do? Is that girl the scholar from Dunan?”

“I see you’re not changed too much, Elise,” Ehlen shrugged and shook his head. He then looked at William and Richard. “That’s right. Before we explained more, why don’t you all explained yourself first hand?”

“Oh, that’s right. Sorry for the improper greetings,” Richard gave Iris and Rudger a salute. “Richard Barows. Though I inherit the name of Barows, I’m not the head of the House. When I married the mother of these kids, I became a Barows too.”

“I’m William Barows, the second child of Barows family,” William smiled.

“And I’m Elise Barows, the first child of Barows family, though now I’m the fiancĂ© of Kent Wilde, the governor of Estrise” Elise smiled just like her father and bowed a little. “If my memory was true, you two are Iris Wisemail and Rudger Fleming, right?”

“Yes. Nice to meet you all,” Iris bowed too, followed by Rudger.

“So, why you all coming here all of sudden?” asked Richard.

“Can we talk in your manor? It’s kinda long,” replied Ehlen. He actually just didn’t want any passer-by overheard their conversation. Knowing that Harmonia might attack anytime by now, he don’t want to make the citizen worried just yet. Fortunately, Richard nodded and led them to Barows manor at the top of the city.

After they arrived in the manor’s lounge, Ehlen explained everything. William and Elise looked worry, but Richard remained calm. He stared at Iris’ forehead and then to Ehlen’s serious face. Just before he could comment about the situation, a servant was come to the lounge.

“Sir Kaylee, Lady Latina,” he said. “A messenger from the capital come and asked to lend you this message.”

Kaylee and Latina frowned. They got up and approached the servant to retrieve the message. After read the message, Kaylee and Latina gasped. Iris, Ehlen and Rudger looked at them. The two Queen’s Knights turned around and smiled nervously.

“Your Highness, we need to get back to the palace right now. An urgent meeting,” explained Kaylee, tried to hide his nervousness but failed perfectly.

Ehlen realized something was up. He thought for a while but then nodded. “Thank you for your companion for this last day,” the silver haired prince said.

Kaylee and Latina gave the nobles a salute and left the lounge, almost made the servant stumbled. After the servant went to his usual duties, Ehlen looked at the confident-looking Elise.

“The Harmonia might be made their moves now, right?” she asked. Ehlen nodded weakly. Elise looked distance to the window at her right side. “Mother has filled us with the information about that. Now that the Fate Rune has resurfaced, His Majesty and the Queen busy, preparing for the upcoming war.”

“Wait,” Iris interrupted. “Did you mean that Kaylee and Latina get back to the castle for the preparations of war? But…it’s just some days after the Fate Rune resurfaced…”

“They impatient,” replied William. “Now that they lost some power after the war at one country in the north, they seek new power to return their mighty. And one way to do that is to take the Sun Rune or the Fate Rune. Both runes were quite powerful.”

“And what are we waiting for?” the blonde young scholar got up from her seat. “I definitely won’t let this country having another war. I’m part of the reason they became aggressive, so I need to help.”

Rudger chuckled. “And how exactly you will help them?” he asked, made Iris a little down. “We’re not even gathering the soldiers yet, and we don’t have anyone that experienced at war now.”

“Still, I think I’m agreed with Lady Iris,” William commented. “I don’t want those Harmonians took our treasure. Only traitor who could stay calm and uncared after they knew that war would happen soon.”

“I think so too,” Elise smirked. “Prince Ehlen, if you tried to persuade your father, he might be willingly lending some of the soldier so we can make our own regiment. Not to mention I can recruit the men from both Rainwall and Estrise through my connections.”

Ehlen sighed. “Is it okay with you, Lord Richard? Your children challenged and gambled their own safety and life.”

“I like their courage actually. I don’t know about their mother, but I guess they will try to persuade her themselves,” Richard smiling widely. “Just remember everything you learned from ours, Elise, William.”

“Thank you, Father!” Both William and Elise hugged their father. After some laughs about how pale was the expression of the veteran swordsman, Iris smiled faintly.

“Chian and Chikai. Two Stars recruited.”

“Did you say something, Iris?” asked Ehlen, noticed that the blonde has muttered something like a whisper to nobody.

Iris shook her head frantically. Rudger quickly changed the topic by gave the prince a questioning look. “And so, what’s next plan, genius prince?” he asked.

“Oh, thanks for calling me genius,” Ehlen chuckled. “Well, I guess we should find a nice tactician for ourselves. Luckily, I know someone that Father might forget about her incredible ability by now,” he turned to William and Elise. “We need to make a ride there if we want to hurry. Can we borrow your boat?”

“Of course,” Elise nodded. “Even better, I’ll go along. I’ll stop at Sol-Falena after I bring you to your destination. I need to inform Mother, after all.”

“Well then, I think I’ll accompany your travel, Prince,” William said, looks very confident and spirited at this.

“Okay. Thank you,” Iris nodded and looked at Ehlen again. “Where are we heading to?” Ehlen smiled wryly at the question, but he still answered.

“Stormfist.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After dropped Iris and the companions at Stormfist pier, Elise sailed off to Sol-Falena, just like what she said. Now the three youths looked at the young prince, pointed him to lead the way to the place of the person he called ‘nice tactician’.

“So, what is she looks like, Ehlen?” asked Iris, followed behind Ehlen and beside William. “Why you said that your father might have been forgot about her?”

“Well, actually…she’s a newcomer to this city. She began to live here…ten years ago. She’s a part of Silverberg family, so…you know about the family, don’t you?” Ehlen smirked.

Iris and Rudger nodded. “The Silverberg family was famed by their brilliance strategist. Some of them were a part of victorious army, even their pupils. I heard that at the Dunan Unification War, there were two of them. One at the Alliance Force was the pupil of a member of the House, while the other one at Highland Force’s side was a true member of the family,” explained Rudger.

“So, she’s a part of the family. But I heard the Silverberg family was from Toran Republic?” asked Iris again.

“I don’t know why, but she seemed like tried to hone her skill here. You know that Stormfist’s central library has many records about the wars that happened on Falena in the past, so she maybe doing research by those archives,” Ehlen shrugged, and then he noticed that Iris looks rather pale. “Lady Iris? You look like not feeling so well.”

“Oh, um…maybe just a little tired,” the blonde just chuckled. “I don’t eat my breakfast too much.”

“Well, why don’t we go to the tavern? I’m rather hungry too,” suggested William. “I heard that the lady loved to wander around the city, observed the townspeople. We maybe will bump into her while we're wandering around the city.”

After they agreed, Ehlen led them to the tavern. The tavern was very crowdy, but they managed to get a free table. After ordered some meals and juices, the three, Ehlen, Rudger and William looked at Iris. The blonde girl gasped and frowned. “Why are you looking at me?” she asked, rather nervous.

“Well, you can see destined ones just by looking at them, right? Don’t you think it’ll be a nice opportunity to look for them now? There’s a lot travelers here,” explained William, rolled his eyes to some scary looking adventurers.

“Oh, good idea,” Iris tilted her head. She looked around at the people in the tavern. When Iris eyes’ moved to a corner, she had a quick Sight of Stars. Gulped, she tried to look around more and found another destined one. After finished looking at all the travelers, she turned her head to the boys and they nodded, agreed to persuade those two Stars now.

The four approached a man with short black cropped hair. He had some scars on his skinny white face, proved that he had encountered many powerful enemies. He also wore a sleeveless black tunic and yellowish leggings with brown boots and a black headband, just like your average adventurer.

“May I help you kids?” he asked coldly.

“Um,” Iris spoke up. “I need your strength.”

“What?”

Ehlen explained quickly and lowly, prevented anyone overheard his or her conversation about the coming war. The man introduced himself as Raijin. He turned into a silent after heard the prince’s explanation. After quite awhile, he raised his head and stared at Iris’ face. He smiled and nodded.

“Very well, in just one condition,” Raijin said. “If you brought me a Thunder God Robe, I’ll join your alliance.”

“I can ask my armor peddler to bring me the armor. It was from around Dunan Republic, wasn't it? If you promised to join and swear loyalty to Lady Iris, then I’ll told him to quickly bring it here, to you,” offered William.

Raijin laughed. “You know how to deal with bothersome people like me. Very well. We both promised to each other.”

Iris smiled and nodded. “Thank you, Sir Raijin!”

“No need to call me ‘sir’, I’m not of noble. And beside, you’re my master now, Lady Iris,” Raijin got up from his seat. “Now, shall I accompany you with this youngsters or I’ll need to go to your quarter or what?”

“Well, I guess we should stick along,” suggested William.

“Yes. I beg your assistance, Raijin,” continued Iris.

“Now to the next Stars. Who?” Rudger asked looked at other travelers that kept talking, ignoring the groups of teen with one elder.

Iris walked ahead to a man with long black hair at the other corner of the tavern. The man seemed like a ninja, as he worn black pants and a ninja shirt that covers his mouth. His freezing red eyes met with Iris’ black eyes, made the girl rather afraid of him but still had some courage to greet the man.

“Good day, sir,” Iris opened. “I want you to join my alliance.”

“Your alliance?” the man frowned. But before Ehlen could explain, the man continued. “I will only work with anyone that can surpass my power.”

“Fine, then prove yourselves, sir,” mocked Rudger, crossed his arms in front of him. “Unfortunately, Lady Iris here not suit to duel with you.”

“Oh? And why it’s not you, pawn, who fight me?”

“Rudger, no!” hissed Iris, tugged his Queen’s Knights’ uniform. At that, and the rude man noticed Rudger’s rank.

“I see you’re a Queen’s Knight. You must be a good swordsman, right? And your master must be good too,” the man smirked. “Fine. Let’s duel outside.”

“I accept your challenge,” replied the brunette boy, followed the man outside with his groups following behind him.

As they came out of the tavern, William shooed every passer-by, told them that they’ll held a spar and everyone needed to step back so they won’t get hurt by looking at the fight so close. After succeeded persuading with the citizen and had Ehlen showed his face to the patrol guards, Rudger and the man unsheathed their weapons.

“By the way, the name’s Buff,” said the black haired man.

“Rudger Fleming, a new apprentice of Queen’s Knight,” Rudger introduced himself. “See, even I’m new, you’ll regret to ever duel with me.”

“I’ll look into that.”

“Duel between Rudger Fleming and Buff. Begin!” commenced William.

As soon as the blonde guy finished his sentence, the two rushed to each other. Their swords clanging, made red sparks flew. Rudger wasn’t no lie when he said he learned how to fight, but Iris never expected that partner of hers could be very good at battle. Yes, she witnessed how he fought in previous battles at the site and in their way to Lunas and Rainwall, but it was helped by Ehlen, whom more experienced and two skilful Queen’s Knights.

Rudger fenced off the attacks of Buff, which aggressive as he never showed tried to take a defend step like Rudger. They were locked in a duel of strength. Rudger wanted to use his Fire Rune, which he attached before he ventured to the site, but he wondered if he allowed to. Just some seconds later, he noticed that Buff began expelling a red aura around him.

“Hey, so we can use magic?” muttered Rudger, avoided one of Buff’s attacks again. “Why don’t you tell me earlier?”

Rudger’s sword glowed in a red aura. He swung his sword and a fireball flew, burned Buff’s shirt a little after the fireball missed. While tried to run as fast as he could with the help of his Gale Rune, Buff gripped his sword tightly, gathered more power to the next attack. However, Rudger was unexpectedly talented at this. With untenable speed, Rudger quickly blocked Buff’s attack and counterattack. He deflected two blocks before plunging his sword into Buff's lower right chest.

“I told you you’ll regret,” whispered Rudger with a winning smile while his sword pointed at the other man's throat then tipped the chin upward.

“The winner is, Rudger Fleming!” William announced. Everyone in the street who stopped to see the simple match between a Queen’s Knight and a travelers, gave them a big applauses and cheers.

Iris, who was stunned for a while by the amazing fight, finally had her senses again and approached the men who ended their fight just now. “Let me heal you two,” she said and using her Kindness Rain to heal their wounds.

“Well,” Ehlen, Raijin and William approached the three. “How is it? Rudger won, fair and square,” said Ehlen.

Buff sighed and looked at Iris. “Well, why not? If she’s worth that much, then I’ll join too.”

Iris smiled. “Thank you, Buff.” At that, Buff blushed and received a threatening glare from Rudger that signaling that if he tried to flirting her, he’ll die soon.

“Oh my, Prince Ehlen. You love to draw yourself to the crowdy townspeople, aren’t you?”

The groups turned their head to the left, where a small girl with brown locks stood near the dismissed crowds. She approached Ehlen and gave Iris, who stood before him, a mischievous smile.

“Hello, Prince and his guests. How do you do?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrapped: EC-8

Scrapped: Raijin no Keifu

Konstelasi: Sagittarius