月の下で [6]
In the Moonlight © aicchan
.
It was past midnight when Asmita decided to have a night stroll. Most stores had closed down for the day, obviously, but not the convenience stores. He originally intended to buy a magazine or some other things from there and went to the closest park to enjoy them, but he forgot all about it when he saw Defteros coming out from an convenience store, carrying a plastic bag of canned drinks and light snacks.
For a few moments, they just stood frozen on the spot, staring straight at each other. Then Defteros regained enough composure to make a remark,
"Are you out to make a fight with some mobs again?"
Asmita blinked fast. "What?"
"Like the other day." The taller of the two had his arms folded in front of his chest and gave Asmita half-accusing, half-joking look. "Beautiful people these days... they always hold some kinda dark secrets. I bet yours is that you love to walk around at night like this and pick on a fight with some punks."
The blond keep staring at the other man, eyes telling a message that goes something along the line of "are-you-stupid" before he heaved a sigh and turned to walk to the convenience store. "Yes, you're right. Now excuse me, I'm going to buy some snacks and a drink so I can dump the empty packs to nearby thugs."
But before he could walk too far, Defteros had reached for his wrist and grip it tightly. Asmita, in reflex, turned to look at the man again and immediately regretted it.
For his heartbeat quickened at the sight of Defteros's mischievous smirk.
"Why bother buying them if I have some here? Come on, I'll even help you to take 'em all."
Asmita took a moment to think, before resigning himself to the temptation of spending some time with Defteros—with his supposed mate.
.
.
.
They went to nearby basketball field, finding a bench to sit on together, and opened the potato chips package. While they eat, Defteros opened a conversation, starting with informing the smaller man that he just finished doing an investigation for one of his clients who lived two blocks away from the convenience store that they went to.
"Brother said that he'll pick me up and told me to wait, but my stomach's growling so I thought I'll grab something from the store and wait for him while chowing down on them." He popped another chip into his mouth, munched and gulped it down his throat before asking. "Now, what's your story?"
Asmita nibbled on his piece as he arranged his words. "I can't sleep because the relatives that took me in are always making loud noises at night."
"What, the children are staying up late to game or play music or what?"
"No, the couple that act as my guardian are having sex."
Defteros was grateful that he hadn't put anything else into his mouth when Asmita so bluntly explained his reason further. He stared incredulously at the blonde. "Are they so shameless that they don't care with being loud and disturbing your sleep?!"
Asmita would say that he has a sharp hearing, but decided against it at the last seconds. "My room is next to theirs, and I suppose the walls aren't as thick as they thought."
"And you never bothered to point it out to them, do you?"
"It's their private life. Though I'm not much of a freeloader, I still have no say in it. I don't want to come across as an ungrateful person."
"Are they really the type of people that get offended so easily?"
The golden haired man stopped his hand midway on the process of picking yet another chip from the bag. He tried to imagine Cardinale and Shijima's reaction if he were to come to them and state his complaint about them being so loud whenever he tries to get some sleep. They probably countered by pointing out that as he is a vampire hence it is fine for him to stay awake, especially since he hadn't rope in his mate yet. But, no, he couldn't think of either of them feel offended and lash out at him for it. Shijima would probably agree to tone down their nightly routines, which would disappoint Cardinale, but the older blonde is mature enough to not make a fuss out of it.
From the corner of his eyes, he saw a knowing smirk gracing Defteros's lips. "They don't, right?"
"It won't make them stop, though. I'll still have to go out at night, though not so often anymore."
"Well," Defteros took out his canned drink from the plastic bag and absentmindedly shook it lightly in his hands, "at those times, why don't you stuff your ears with something? Like, with ear plugs..."
"Do you think I would choose the midnight strolling method if mere ear plugs can block off their sounds?"
It was the private detective's turn to fall silent and think. Asmita thought that he would be given a chance to observe Defteros some more, to see if he can find other things that he overlooked this morning, that differentiate him from his older twin. But it turned out that he couldn't, as Defteros quickly came up with a new idea.
"Do you have headphones?" He smiled brightly. "Connect them to any audio player like radio, CD player, or mobile phone and play music on max volume, I'm sure you'll be able to block off their sounds!"
Now that's a good idea, Asmita thought. He never tried to put on one, though he does know their functions. If he were to wear it, surely he can focus on the music. To fall asleep with loud music blaring next to his ears shall be another problem that he belive he can handle on his own.
"I suppose I can do that, though..."
"Though?"
"I have none of those gadgets that you mentioned."
Another silence befell them.
.
It was past midnight when Asmita decided to have a night stroll. Most stores had closed down for the day, obviously, but not the convenience stores. He originally intended to buy a magazine or some other things from there and went to the closest park to enjoy them, but he forgot all about it when he saw Defteros coming out from an convenience store, carrying a plastic bag of canned drinks and light snacks.
For a few moments, they just stood frozen on the spot, staring straight at each other. Then Defteros regained enough composure to make a remark,
"Are you out to make a fight with some mobs again?"
Asmita blinked fast. "What?"
"Like the other day." The taller of the two had his arms folded in front of his chest and gave Asmita half-accusing, half-joking look. "Beautiful people these days... they always hold some kinda dark secrets. I bet yours is that you love to walk around at night like this and pick on a fight with some punks."
The blond keep staring at the other man, eyes telling a message that goes something along the line of "are-you-stupid" before he heaved a sigh and turned to walk to the convenience store. "Yes, you're right. Now excuse me, I'm going to buy some snacks and a drink so I can dump the empty packs to nearby thugs."
But before he could walk too far, Defteros had reached for his wrist and grip it tightly. Asmita, in reflex, turned to look at the man again and immediately regretted it.
For his heartbeat quickened at the sight of Defteros's mischievous smirk.
"Why bother buying them if I have some here? Come on, I'll even help you to take 'em all."
Asmita took a moment to think, before resigning himself to the temptation of spending some time with Defteros—with his supposed mate.
.
.
.
They went to nearby basketball field, finding a bench to sit on together, and opened the potato chips package. While they eat, Defteros opened a conversation, starting with informing the smaller man that he just finished doing an investigation for one of his clients who lived two blocks away from the convenience store that they went to.
"Brother said that he'll pick me up and told me to wait, but my stomach's growling so I thought I'll grab something from the store and wait for him while chowing down on them." He popped another chip into his mouth, munched and gulped it down his throat before asking. "Now, what's your story?"
Asmita nibbled on his piece as he arranged his words. "I can't sleep because the relatives that took me in are always making loud noises at night."
"What, the children are staying up late to game or play music or what?"
"No, the couple that act as my guardian are having sex."
Defteros was grateful that he hadn't put anything else into his mouth when Asmita so bluntly explained his reason further. He stared incredulously at the blonde. "Are they so shameless that they don't care with being loud and disturbing your sleep?!"
Asmita would say that he has a sharp hearing, but decided against it at the last seconds. "My room is next to theirs, and I suppose the walls aren't as thick as they thought."
"And you never bothered to point it out to them, do you?"
"It's their private life. Though I'm not much of a freeloader, I still have no say in it. I don't want to come across as an ungrateful person."
"Are they really the type of people that get offended so easily?"
The golden haired man stopped his hand midway on the process of picking yet another chip from the bag. He tried to imagine Cardinale and Shijima's reaction if he were to come to them and state his complaint about them being so loud whenever he tries to get some sleep. They probably countered by pointing out that as he is a vampire hence it is fine for him to stay awake, especially since he hadn't rope in his mate yet. But, no, he couldn't think of either of them feel offended and lash out at him for it. Shijima would probably agree to tone down their nightly routines, which would disappoint Cardinale, but the older blonde is mature enough to not make a fuss out of it.
From the corner of his eyes, he saw a knowing smirk gracing Defteros's lips. "They don't, right?"
"It won't make them stop, though. I'll still have to go out at night, though not so often anymore."
"Well," Defteros took out his canned drink from the plastic bag and absentmindedly shook it lightly in his hands, "at those times, why don't you stuff your ears with something? Like, with ear plugs..."
"Do you think I would choose the midnight strolling method if mere ear plugs can block off their sounds?"
It was the private detective's turn to fall silent and think. Asmita thought that he would be given a chance to observe Defteros some more, to see if he can find other things that he overlooked this morning, that differentiate him from his older twin. But it turned out that he couldn't, as Defteros quickly came up with a new idea.
"Do you have headphones?" He smiled brightly. "Connect them to any audio player like radio, CD player, or mobile phone and play music on max volume, I'm sure you'll be able to block off their sounds!"
Now that's a good idea, Asmita thought. He never tried to put on one, though he does know their functions. If he were to wear it, surely he can focus on the music. To fall asleep with loud music blaring next to his ears shall be another problem that he belive he can handle on his own.
"I suppose I can do that, though..."
"Though?"
"I have none of those gadgets that you mentioned."
Another silence befell them.
Comments
Post a Comment